I'm Clarissa and together with my husband James and our two small brown haired, brown eyed boys William & Robert we live in a nearly 100 year old Queenslander style home in inner city Brisbane.
We've lived here since I was six months pregnant with William, who is now 7, and it's been a perfect house for a growing family - single level, nice flat backyard and easy access to my second home, the dirty old laundry.
But now three boys in a tiny kitchen all wanting me to do something different at the same time has become more than I can handle. It's time to stop the talking and transform this house into something that will suit us for the next stage of life - bigger kitchen, a new ensuite, two new bedrooms and this time an indoor laundry!
The intention of this blog is to chronicle the experience of using external contractors to design and complete our renovation.
We are not planning to do any renovation work ourselves (although I might have to pick up a paintbrush towards the end if our money runs out!). I have read many blogs documenting some incredible home handyman skills. These are interesting; but they don't answer so many of the questions I have (and even questions I don't realise I should be asking) regarding renovating and the process of engaging building professionals.
- How do you go around getting a draftsman / designer?
- What should you find out about a builder before you engage them?
- What are the "real" & "extra" costs? eg I didn't realise that builders quotes don't include things like carpets etc which impact budget planning
- Will living in my house whilst renovating impact budgets/timelines?
- IS IT REALLY AS STRESSFUL AS EVERYONE TELLS ME??!!!